The City’s business model is evolving as the needs and demands of the community changes. We are constantly redefining the way we do business especially with the rapid progression of technology and the rising cost of pension plans. To empower and enable the City to continue to provide services that enhance the quality of life and public safety in the most efficient, convenient, and enjoyable ways while meeting the high standard our community has come to expect, the City established a 2019-2021 Three-year Strategic Plan. It will serve as a roadmap for El Segundo’s vision as a “hub for innovation where big ideas take off.” The plan provides goals, objectives, and strategies to help this vision.
To view the 2019-2021 Three-year Strategic Plan, click here. The context for this plan is a series of opportunities and challenges facing the City. Both are briefly highlighted below.
- Attracting new technology businesses through access to land, employees, and transportation
- Improving our downtown and supporting existing businesses
- Determining the future of the east side of the community
- Attracting young professionals and families to move into El Segundo
- Growing pension liability
- Replacing outdated technology
- Growing infrastructure replacement and maintenance costs
- Planning for future development on the east side of the community
- Engaging community more in emergency preparedness
- Recruiting and retaining employees in a tightening public sector job market
In this plan, you’ll also find all the detailed actions we plan to take in the upcoming fiscal year including Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). The following is a highlight of a few top items set as a priority by City Council:
- Capital Improvements Projects (CIP) – Program Highlights
- Storm Drain Abandonment on Eucalyptus Drive – Construction to begin in September and expected to be completed by December.
- Pavement Rehabilitation – Pre-construction meeting in the first week of September. Construction to begin in September.
- Library Wi-Fi Zone – Contract Award to be considered by Council September 4th. Construction to begin in fall.
- Cedar/Walnut Water Main – Bids are received and being analyzed. Contract Award to be considered by Council September 18th.
- Police Flooring – Under construction. The first floor is completed and work is in progress on the basement level. Stairwell re-painting is also completed.
- Main Street Bollards – Construction is underway and expected to be completed in October.
- Fire Station Seismic Retrofit – Construction is completed. Notice of Completion to Council September 18th.
- Pump Station #1 and #7 modification – Under construction at Acacia Park. Construction to be completed in October.
- Concrete Repair Project – Construction is underway and expected to be completed by October.
- Catch Basin Inserts – Inserts are being manufactured. The contractor is obtaining LA County permit for County catch basins.
- Citywide Facilities Condition Assessment – The Pilot Report is expected to be drafted this month based on an assessment of City Hall.
- Aquatics Center – Ribbon cutting event is set for September 29th from 1-4PM, with a City Grand Opening event expected in October/November.
- Imperial Highway Street Resurfacing – The City of Los Angeles is smoothing the ride on Imperial Highway near LAX. To view details, click here.
- Employee Engagement – Council approved a FY18-19 proposed $200k for Employee Engagement.
- Payment to Section 115 Pension Trust Fund – What would you like to say here?
- Pay Down CalPERS Unfunded Pension Liabilities – What would you like to say here?
- What else would you like to highlight?
We’re excited about the future and continue to work toward making El Segundo the best place to live, work, and visit. As we implement the projects and programs outlined in this strategic plan, we will continue to work with our community to and build upon the partnership we have established.
I look forward to being part of our progress in achieving the Council’s goals for El Segundo and extend my personal appreciation to our executive team and staff for their hard work and commitment to completing this Three-year Strategic Plan.